Menu
14/10/2019
A+ A A-
Bienvenido, Invitado
Nombre de Usuario: Contraseña: Recordarme
  • Página:

TEMA: Cuba policy, Cuba polls and innuendo.

Cuba policy, Cuba polls and innuendo. 24 Jun 2014 23:40 #8240

I kind of knew (or guessed) you would love it.

Now let me see if I correctly interpret your "not yet"... Do you mean not a minute before the braggarts sing "the peanut salesman"?
El administrador ha desactivado la escritura pública.

Cuba policy, Cuba polls and innuendo. 24 Jun 2014 22:03 #8239

"Would you favor the US lifting all sanctions against Cuba and treating it as we treat most other nations knowing Fidel and Raul would brag about it for as long as they live?".
Agree 100%: That's THE Question.
My answer: Not yet :)

Cuba policy, Cuba polls and innuendo. 24 Jun 2014 21:40 #8238

Agreed, don Francisco. But don Raùl Prebisch said that about ALL polls. Not just about those he did not like the results of.

I am not a big fan of polls myself, and I don't see how anyone can confuse Freedom of Speech with what is Right or Wrong (I am not sure I get what you mean to say, or what it has to do with polls).

The "bronca" around those polls which repeatedly show the American people AND a majority of those Americans of Cuban origin are against a continuation of an attitude towards Cuba (and the policies to match that attitude) that conflicts with our national interests and has led us nowhere, unless isolation on this issue can be considered a desirable destination, does not relate to the credibility of polls per se, but to the nature (leading) of the questions the Cuban exile hardliners question.

I sometimes think the only question these guys will ever be happy with would be one like this: "Would you favor the US lifting all sanctions against Cuba and treating it as we treat most other nations knowing Fidel and Raul would brag about it for as long as they live?" Because that question is the one that goes to the gist (and the guts) of these guys big problem: their EGOS would just not survive such bragging by their longtime nemesis, not even if such a move would result, down the road, in Cuba becoming a better place than it ever was (or exactly what they left behind 55 years ago, for that matter).

Cuba policy, Cuba polls and innuendo. 24 Jun 2014 21:00 #8237

Sure, Freedom of speech is an essential part in the fundation of America, and is therefore the First Amendment in the Bill of Rigths. We can be happy and proud of that.

But, please, do not confuse Freedom of Speech with what is Rright or Wrong, let alone the Truth.

Surveys are statistical samples that, as Raul Presbisch said, "are like the bikini: it shows a lot, but sometimes will hide the most important part."

Cuba policy, Cuba polls and innuendo. 20 Jun 2014 16:08 #8235

Our political system is firmly grounded on the belief that freedom of speech includes spending money. As firmly as the feet of those who grow overly wise for the taste of their fellow wise guys and end up “sleeping with the fish” (some may even argue our political system is headed in that very same direction). I mean, it is very difficult to deny this, specially after the 2010 US Supreme Court ruling in the Citizens United case, which essentially allows money, BIG and small, to influence elections with barely any limits at all.

And yet, some among my fellow Cuban Americans in Miami seem to believe there is something intrinsically wrong in an Academic Institution’s polling of our people with the financial support of a given contributor, since, they will tell you, the “interests” behind those contributors “obviously” must have an impact on the result of the poll.

I am guessing here (I have no money for polls) but I assume a vast majority of those who criticize the recently published 2014 FIU CUBA Poll and suggest the professionals behind it are sold out to their contributors’ interests agree with our Supremes’ Citizens United ruling as an example of the wholesomeness of our Great Democracy –unless they fuzzily understand the question as one related to insurance against hurricane damages, which leads me to “leading questions”, the other argument used in our bilingual Disneyland to ignore poll, after poll, after poll that tell us that people are fed up with our childish hangover of bitter and resentful anti-Castro spiel and policies.

Some among my fellow kindergarteners claim the answers to the questions in the FIU poll are preordained because of how the questions are framed, and they suggest different questions would result in different answers. The obvious response to that is, well, how about you drafting the questions then? Why don’t you conduct your own poll, instead of letting those behind what you deem a well organized and “paid for” campaign of polls in support of a change in US policy towards Cuba get away with it? After all, there are other Academic institutions in town who take pride on their “independence of thought”, who could easily orchestrate (sorry, wrong word) a countervailing poll. There is one particularly experienced group of academics that have studied Cuba so thoroughly they once taught a course about “Cuba after Castro” (I was recently told most of the professors in this group teach for free, which humbles me, I admit, but still, the going rate for a credit hour in their school is well over a Grant, so the money should be there for “their” poll).

Or, even better, perhaps, let the “true experts” in detecting campaigns against “democracy” in our hemisphere do the polling. There are more than a few among us, the types that love to fight the governments in their respective countries through their loud (very loud) but unconvincing exercises in “declamatory democracy”, the only form of democracy that is dissociated from a country’s people and staged in foreign shores, namely in Miami. The fact they are not Cubans but from other Latin American countries may suggest, to those distracted enough to be concerned with hurricane damages after reading about the Citizen United decision, that they are free from any unbalanced “interests”. However, some of these “experts” have claimed their wishes to implement free-for-all discussions on all topics from a varied universe of opinions –including those contrary to their own- have been curtailed, here in our Magic City / Kingdom, precisely by those intransigent Cubans who oppose any change to US Cuba policies and who think giving a voice to "communists" in OUR Mayami is tantamount to treason. So it would be unwise to leave the polling to these hostages, especially when there are strong hints they suffer from Stockholm syndrome.

But the main reason why those critics of the FIU poll do not respect any poll is because they already know what we the people think and want, whether in Miami Dade County or in Cuba proper. They don’t need any polls: our “representatives” in Washington can explain what we want, and any Joe Q. Dissident from Cuba can tell us what over 11 million in the island want. So who cares about polls?

You know what we urgently need? We need out-spoken dissidents in Miami. And we need them before we are all “institutionalized”.
  • Página:
Tiempo de carga de la página: 0.090 segundos