• Democracia Participativa
  • Democracia Participativa's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Bering Sea Canyons Campaign for a better World

11 years 1 month ago
ParticipatoryDemocracy.net -

Dear friends of a better World,

I am heading to Alaska in two weeks to testify at the North Pacific Fishery Management Council (NPFMC) where I'll be asking them to protect the Bering Sea canyons. But if my voice is going to be heard over the interests of the commercial fishing industry, I can't go alone. So I am asking you and 35,000 others to join me before May 25.

Add your voice to Bering Sea protection now .

Often referred to as the ‘Grand Canyons of the Sea’, the Bering Sea is home to one of the most productive global fisheries teeming with fish, crab, fur seals, endangered sea lions, orcas and humpback whales. It’s a truly remarkable ecosystem that begins with fragile corals and sponges on the seafloor. Unlike the Grand Canyon, however, these canyons are in serious danger. And that’s exactly how the commercial fishing industry would like to keep it.

If I go to this meeting alone, I don't stand a chance of being heard over this powerful industry. So I am asking you and 35,000 others to join me before May 25 by signing on to support the creation of a marine reserve in the Bering Sea .

What a difference a year makes. After receiving new science confirming vulnerable coral and sponge habitat in the Bering Sea canyons, and a renewed request to protect the canyons signed by a broad coalition of organizations, Alaska tribal groups, 30,000 supporters, and even Safeway, SuperValue and Trader Joe’s, the North Pacific Fishery Management Council put the issue back on their agenda. I can thank you for that.

Now I need your help again.

There’s no room on my plane to take all of you with me, but I can take your voice to the council. Gerardo, join me and 35,000 others just like you in delivering the message to the council that we want to protect the Bering Sea from destructive fishing practices.

The NPFMC has a responsibility to protect this vital habitat and ensure sustainable fisheries. But for more than a decade, they have refused repeated requests to protect these magnificent canyons.

We still know very little about these canyons. They are so remote that scientists haven't been able to fully explore them. What we do know is that it would be a shame to lose them before we get a chance to find out what's there.

Take a minute and sign on to our letter and help protect the Bering Sea .

Thanks for your help,

Jackie Dragon
Greenpeace Oceans Campaigner

You may also help by sending the following letter directly to the North Pacific Fishery Management Council or another one using your own words.
By Email: npfmc.comments@noaa.gov (PDF attachments accepted)
Via Fax: 907-271-2817
By Postal Mail: 605 W. 4th Avenue, Suite 306, Anchorage, AK 99501

C7- the Bering Sea Canyons

Dear Chairman Olsen and Council members North Pacific Fishery Management Council,

As prudent stewards of one of our nation's most valuable marine resources we expect you to prioritize the protection of sensitive habitats, including the vulnerable coral and sponge communities in Zhemchug and Pribilof canyons that support the long-term productivity of our fisheries.

At your Council meeting, please take clear and strong action towards protecting the Bering Sea Green Belt and Zhemchug and Pribilof Canyons.

I support Jackie Dragon and Greenpeace as public stakeholders, urging you to make the adoption of protections for the Bering Sea canyons and the fragile coral and sponge habitat within them a top priority.

Despite the ecological and commercial importance of the Bering Sea shelf break there are currently no protected areas along this entire "greenbelt." Given how little we understand about deep sea ecosystems or the connections between seafloor habitats and commercially important species, it is extremely risky not to set aside representative portions of the shelf break as a buffer against uncertainty.

I wholeheartedly support Ms. Jackie Dragon mission on behalf of all of us, citizens of Planet Earth, in his efforts before the North Pacific Fishery Management Council to protect the Bering Sea canyons.

Sincerely,

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Moderators: Miguel SaludesAbelardo Pérez GarcíaOílda del CastilloRicardo PuertaAntonio LlacaEfraín InfantePedro S. CamposHéctor Caraballo
Time to create page: 0.404 seconds