Joe Biden has often been an embarrassment to the nation for many years past — flip-flopping on issues like war, immigration, and taxes, spouting disturbing racial comments as he became rich and used his influence for the enrichment of his sons and relatives. However, powerful newspapers and magazines, and the most prominent TV and radio Networks have never examined his record as a Senator, as Vice President, and as a citizen and public figure, like any journalist worth his/her professionalism must.
As a six-term senator (36 years) from Delaware and a two-term Vice president (8 years) under Barack Obama, Biden has consistently portrayed himself as a solid policymaker, a centrist, and an honest, middle-class American, no matter the fact that his revealed worth tops US$10 million.
But there is startling evidence — based on Biden’s own words, deeds and the people who knew him the best — that his policies have often been disastrous with damaging consequences for the millions they impacted.
• Flip-flopped on the plan for a U.S. surge in Iraq that saved thousands of American lives.
• Openly opposed the operation to kill Osama bin Laden, an action eventually considered the hallmark achievement of the Obama presidency.
• Approved a border wall long before President Trump ever advocated for it.
• Opposed amnesty for illegal immigrants, then supported it.
• Was derided by Obama’s own Defense Secretary Robert Gates as “wrong on nearly every major foreign policy and national security issue over the past four decades.”
• His involvement in a truly shocking story of his roles in the Ukraine and China, still developing and under investigation and his bragging on how he uses his influence.
• How the Penn Biden Center at the University of Pennsylvania was backed by Chinese donors.
• Seesawed on taxes — approving of a payroll tax cut during the Obama years, then slamming President Trump’s for his tax cuts and proceeding to raise them again in a rush just a few weeks after winning the elections.
• Lauded Sen. Robert Byrd, a former Ku Klux Klan member who opposed federally-mandated desegregation and civil rights, as someone who “elevated the Senate.”
• Openly supports defunding the police by “redirecting” money from law enforcement on streets to "education".
He could still become a good president and he has almost 4 years more to leave a good legacy for posterity. But his record, his repetitive failures of reasoning and coherence in his statements, speeches, and during his only press conference so far, as well as his selection of Ms. Harris to be his vice president are very ominous signs.
However, let us hope for the best!